Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

An unsual one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: An unsual one Reply with quote

I photographed this unusual hoverfly (?) if that is what it is. I might be barking up the wrong Dipteran tree, but my best guess is that it is a hoverfly because of the 2 outer cross veins near the rear wing margins. However, I'm not good enough on Dipterans to know how diagnostic this feature actually is. It was photographed near Blackburn, Lancs, on a tall Hogweed. I got 21 photographs from different angles before I lost track of it. None of them are perfect for me as photographs, but there is huge amount of detail in these photos, which is not clear on the low resolution images I am posting here - so if anyone wants another angle or feature I can probably post it. I am really stumped with this and any help would be appreciated. I do have a copy of Stubbs, but the one with faulty plates 9-12. I can't seem to find anything like it anywhere. I know I'm probably missing something, and I hope someone can put me on the right track
Mick Parker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SteB,
It appears to be Phasia hemiptera which is a Tachinid fly and not a hoverfly, it is a fairly common species here in Dorset and is normally
associated with woodland.
If you google : "Tachinid recording Scheme" and find their Website,
you will see plenty of Imformation about this species ( and other Tachinids ) including Distribution maps and photos.
Good Luck, Mick
SteB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the help Reply with quote

This one had me stumped. I photograph a lot of different groups of plants, inverts and even vertebrates - so it is difficult to get your head around all these groups. I have been photographing a lot of true hoverflies lately, and even if I haven't yet got the final ID on all of them yet, I'm sure I can do it when I've got more time. I couldn't place this though as I know Dipterans are a big group and they are not a group I really know well (although I photograph enough of them). I do want to get to grips with Syrphidae when I've got more time. At the moment all my time is taken up with photography, and I'm getting some pretty good hoverfly photos, and I'll post some of them here. Many thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: