Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Epistrphe eligans weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Epistrphe eligans weekend Reply with quote

Epistrophe eligans has a short flight period during the spring when it can be incredibly abundant. This seems to be THE weekend around Peterborough! Males are holding station all over the lawn and under the fruit trees, and sitting around on leaves all over the place.

Syrphus are also very abundant at the moment, the ones I have checked have mostly been S. ribesii, with a few S. torvus.

Other species in the garden this weekend:
  • Eupeodes luniger - reasonable numbers,
  • Platycheirus albimanus abundant,
  • Melanostoma scalare - never seem to get many of these in the garden, but they are abundant in local woods,
  • Eristalis pertinax - I've seen 1m so far,
  • Baccha elongata - again just one,
  • Helophilus ?pendulus - one visiting kingcups in the pond - didn't get close enough to check which species it was for sure

There are also still bee-flies, Bombylius major, about and the first of the Holly Blues. Very nice!
conopid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, at last spring appeared to arrive. At Attingham Park, near Shrewsbury, in a small block of woodland:

The woodland floor was heaving with Melansotoma scalare and Platycheirus albimanus, there were good numbers of Rhingia campestris, many Syrphus species (still to be checked for species), several Meliscaeva cinctella and Epistrophe eligans; single Eupodes luniger (tbc), Ferdinandea cuprea, Neoascia podagrica and Leucozona lucorum. So probably a respectable ten plus spp once I have determined all the specimens I swept up.

Amongst the yellow and black Syrphids was a nice Syrphus male with divided moustache bands. This had me guessing for a while, until I thought to check for the hairs on the squamae. Itís a rectus/vitripennis male, so will remain undetermined, but Iíll hang on to the specimen, in case some one comes up with a technique for distinguishing the two species from males, or even proposes a new species for the divided moustache band individuals. This is the first time I have come across such a specimen.

Also my first Beris (Stratiomyidae) of the season Ė one of the dark ones.

brian blagden

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Epistrophe eligans weekend Reply with quote

Just a week or so behind you chaps. Saw the first Epistrophe eligans of the year this Monday (5 May) and my first record for this species. Solitary Male resting on blackcurrent bush.

Is this the first record for VC 93 - North Aberdeenshire?

Brian
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Epistrophe eligans Reply with quote

Hello Brian

Great to hear of your record.

I'm not sure we can say with certainty that this is the first record for north Aberdeenshire - trouble is that there are a lot of data for the area but we just don't have access to the data. If you want to make a big contribution to the scheme your records will make a huge impact on the area which in our scheme is rather poorly recorded - all Epistrophe records most welcome.

Regards

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: