Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Scaeva ID ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris webster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Scaeva ID ? Reply with quote

Hi all
I've been going through thousands of photos of Hoverflies, trying to put together a website illustrating as many as I can identify.
I had another look today at an "unknown Eupeodes" seen back in 2005, and it turns out to have densely white-haired eyes indicative of Scaeva. The yellow commas on the abdomen reach the lateral margins of the tergites, wrong for S. selenitica.
Maybe I'm going cross-eyed looking at too many photos, but it does seem to be Scaeva dignota, which would be interesting. Or have I overlooked something obvious?

4 pics at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/celastrina/sc.html

Chris.
conopid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, it certainly looks like photos of S dignota posted on the web, and not like any of the species on the UK checklist. Possible new UK species? Not sure if a photo alone will qualify it for this status though? You need Roger or Stuart to look at this and comment.
chris webster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel
I posted the pics on diptera.info, and had one vote for Scaeva dignota. Well, Andre said it sure looks like one.
You're right, one really needs the actual specimen to prove what it was. But logically speaking, to prove it might NOT be S. dignota one would have to suggest a possible alternative.
For the record, it was seen on the top of Butser Hill, Hants, at SU 714 205, 2nd Aug 2005. There were lots of Eupeodes about, and I thought it was just another of those, till checking all my photos recently. It's a pretty significant landmark, that hill... just the place for a high-flying migrant to touch down.
I was lucky to get any photos... my friend was getting fed up with me running around after flies as usual!
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: SCaeva dignota? Reply with quote

Hello Chris

Checking your photos against the key in van Veen, there are reasons to think that your specimen might be S. dignota. It is noted as a migratory species from North Africa and southern Europe and with climate change I guess we might get it.

However, I am loath to do more than say that this looks like a possible S. dignota and to make a note accordingly. I suggest you write a brief account for the Hoverfly Newsletter ( discuss diagnostic features etc) and send it to David Iliff - that will secure you an audience.

The most important point now is to get people to look out for S. dignota and to check their collections.

This is a clear case in support of the retention of voucher material I think.

Roger
chris webster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Roger
Thanks for taking a look at those photos.
To quote Andre, via diptera.info again, S. dignota will not be new to the UK. So that heavy weight of responsibility is lifted from me!

However, the species doesn't appear on this site's Checklist, so I wonder about the history of its previous appearances in the UK. As to retaining specimens, I was rather new to identifying syrphidae in 2005, so didn't realise how interesting that one was.

Chris
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Chris

It may well be that S. dignota has not been recognised yet, but at the moment there are no confirmed records - I really would urge you to write a note for the newsletter - maybe it will get people to re-check their collections - I must take a look at mine too!

Regards

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: