Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

introduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lauriek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: introduction Reply with quote

Hi,

This is a combination of a test post to check the registration worked okay and a very quick introduction!

I've been photographing bugs for a few years now but am getting seriously into proper identification. I'm still trying to find a copy of Stubbs/Falk so my general insect field guides and google are all I have to help me with IDs at the moment, so I was glad to find this place. I expect I will be posting quite a few hoverfly photos for help with IDs soon! Hope you all don't mind!! Wink

Anyway, getting late, will try to post a few pictures tomorrow. I'm having particular trouble with a few Eristalis species at the moment....

Cheers!

ps does anyone know any similar sites to this for identification of other specific insect groups? (Beetles would be handy!) I know whatsthatbug.com and bugguide but they are both US based, some more UK based sites would be cool!!
conopid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the scheme. You can get British Hoverflies 2nd Edition from
http://www.benhs.org.uk/benhs.html

Worth investing in as it's a cracking book - one of the best guides out there.

lauriek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book arrived yesterday! I'm very impressed so far but its going to take me a while to get used to the names of all these fly body parts!! Wink
John O'Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got the book, lauriek. I remember feeling like you do now, and it goes on getting better! May I give you a tip which might stop you making the same mistakes as I did? Make sure that what you are looking at is actually a hoverfly! Quite a lot of other kinds of fly look like hovers, for instance Tachinids and soldierflies; there are others, too (not to mention some bees and wasps!). To begin with, make a point of checking for hoverfly features, particularly the wing-veins. That should save you a bit of embarrassment! Soon enough you should find you can separate the syrphids from the rest with some confidence.
Have fun!
John
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a slow process and one best assisted by maintaining a reference collection - it is quite normal to find species problematic - especially eristalines when one first starts (and many years later!)

Maybe worth doing our introduction to flies course at Preston Montford in March

Regards

Roger
Tony White

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lauriek,

We've all been there - just work at it and be patient. I studied spiders for 25 years before launching into diptera and I thought it would be a cinch. Not a bit of it; there was a complete new vocabulary to be mastered: scutellum, arista, alula, jowls and so on - spiders have none of these things so it was slow progress but enormous fun. Best of luck!

Tony White
Tony White

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again

Just had a thought. Stubbs and Falk is excellent - I always refer to it as The Bible - but when keying out Eristalis species, the key makes one surprising omission: E. tenax, large and very common, has hairy eyes with the hairs forming distinct stripes running top to bottom. I know of no other Eristalis spp with this feature - but I know Roger will correct me if I'm wrong.

Tony
Tony White

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again

Just had a thought. Stubbs and Falk is excellent - I always refer to it as The Bible - but when keying out Eristalis species, the key makes one surprising omission: E. tenax, large and very common, has hairy eyes with the hairs forming distinct stripes running top to bottom. I know of no other Eristalis spp with this feature - but I know Roger will correct me if I'm wrong.

Tony
lauriek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I would love to do one of these courses but somehow doubt I will have the time next spring, but we'll see!!

With regards to maintaining a collection, this is something I've been thinking about. Are there any particular species which you would personally not collect due to scarcity? (V-inflata for instance?) -

I've been watching what I think it one female v-inanis for a couple of months now and I'm glad I never collected her as I've enjoyed watching her in the wild ever since (and because of the amount of time I've been watching her, I've managed to get some stupidly close up shots of her!)
conopid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few hoverflies I would try to avoid collecting, but if I inadvertently collected them, I wouldn't lose any sleep, as most species are probably more frequent than records indicate, because of the lack of recorders. Examples Pocota personata, Blera fallax. You may well never see these species anyway, but if you do, and you collect them, then the records are very valuable. The trick is not to take more than one or two at most of any unusual looking species.

Personally, I usually don't bother to collect easy to identify species, like Volucella inflata, but I take lots of Platycheirus, Parasyryrphus, Cheilosia and Pipza, for example, where getting dead specimens under a lens is the most productive way of recording a wider range of species. Most are common species, but quite frequently, some scarce species turn up. My rule - if in doubt, bag it! There are often some nice surprses when one gets home.

Making a collection is certainly the fastet way of getting to grips with hoverflies. It would take ages just trying to do them all in the field.

There is plenty of good advice on this in Stubbs & Falk and lots of useful discussion on www.diptera.info - another good place to get photos checked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: