Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Eupeodes lapponicus / species A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McCullough

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Eupeodes lapponicus / species A Reply with quote

I have found specimens of E. (Lapposyrphus) sp. in the same location in the Quantocks, Somerset since 2003, including this year. The species appears quite numerous at times, with fresh specimens, but is apparently very local - I do not think it likely that they are migrants.
I am fairly confident of the i.d. from the wing venation, and believe the species to be E. lapponicus. However, using the keys and text in Stubbs & Falk (2002) I cannot reliably exclude Species A (either by microscopic or hand lens) - and confess I am a bit sceptical about the existence of species A. Levy & Levy (Somerset Hoverflies, 1998 make no mention of species A, but they have some useful notes on lapponicus. Van Veen's key does not mention species A. I was planning on writing up my records for submission to DD or the Bulletin and would be most grateful for any information as to the current status of species A and distinguishing features.
Many thanks
Angus McCullough
conopid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Eupodes lapponicus species a Reply with quote

Hello Angus
I took a couple of Eupodes species "A" (mine fitted the key well) in south Shropshire in June 2006. They were two of several that were hovering under fairly dense shade, with some penetrating shafts of light. There were several hovering at about 10 - 20 cm above a bare pathway, under mixed conifer/broadleaf woodland. I too was considering writing this up for the spring 2007 Hoverfly newsletter. Maybe we should join forces for a short item to DD?

Nigel Jones

McCullough

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Eupeodes lapponicus / species A Reply with quote

Hello Nigel
Many thanks for your reply. My Lapposyrphus sg. specimens have been taken in very similar situations to those you describe - hovering in shade at the edge of mixed woodland (although the first specimen I took, in 2003, was at the edge of a track in a mature conifer plantation, about half a mile away from the site where I have found the others). However, I have always found them over vegetation, and perhaps typically hovering a little higher (c. 30 cm). It would be good to join forces for a note for DD, although I'm away for most of the rest of August - let's stay in touch and I will send you some more detailed notes.
It would be interesting to see if the forum yields any other insights or information in the meantime.
Angus McCullough
P.S. V nice picture of P. granditarsus currently adorning the home page!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: