Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

ID help please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lauriek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: ID help please! Reply with quote

I'm not sure about any of these, any pointers appreciated!

I think the first three are Eristalis of some kind, the other two I'm stumped on! I've only got limited field guides at the moment...

Hmm only three attachments seem to be there, I'll post the next two in another post!
lauriek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Other two pictures Reply with quote

These are the two I have no idea on...
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: ID help Reply with quote

Hello

In order of posts

1. E. pertinax male
2. E. pertinax female (I think but add a small QM)
3. Eristalis - probably interruptus but ???
4. Syrphus ribesii - female - pretty sure but a slight? as cannot see whole of hind femur
5. Eupeodes luniger male

Regards

Roger
John O'Sullivan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lauriek,

I was just drafting a reply, when Roger beat me to it! I'll send it anyway, especially as I agree with him!

Well, you were right about the first three, which are all Eristalis. I'm sure about the first one; it has the classic rather pointed abdomen of a male pertinax, and you can just see that the tarsus on the middle leg is pale (front and middle tarsi are dark in all other British Eristalis). The second one, a female, is trickier; if the front tarsus really is pale, and not burned out by the flash, then this is also pertinax. If the middle tarsus is really dark, and not just in shadow, the likeliest suspects are nemorum (=interruptus) and arbustorum, with the dark abdomen tending to indicate the former.
The third is also a small Eristalis female; in this case the front feet are clearly dark, so not pertinax, the tip of the middle tibia is also clearly dark, so not abusivus, and thus (ignoring a couple of very unlikely species) it should be nemorum or arbustorum; the dark abdomen indicates the former, but the shape of the stigma does not seem to be distinguishable. Again, I'd guess nemorum. The fourth picture is a lovely bright Syrphus female with golf-club shaped spots on the upper abdomen; I think enough of the hind femur is showing to suspect that it is all yellow, which makes it ribesii. The fifth is a male Eupeodes, and the size and shape of the spots on the abdomen strongly indicate luniger.

If you think you are going to stay interested in hoverflies, I really recommend that you get a copy of British Hoverflies by Stubbs and Falk, in the 2002 edition. It's a pleasure to handle and to use, and will answer many of your questions.

Happy hunting.

John
lauriek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the help! I will see if I have any other shots of those particular flies which I can cross reference with your helpful comments...

I've now got a copy of Stubbs/Falk on order!

I'm sure this is a daft question but I haven't yet seen the answer anywhere. Is there an easy way to differentiate males from females when it comes to hoverflies?

Thanks again!
Laurie
--
conopid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Males and females are easy in the vast majority of species. Male eyes join at the centre of the head and in females there is a gap. Exceptions are Helophilus and Parhelophilus, in which case look for the bulge of the genitalia at the tip of the abdomen for males.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: