Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

overwintering larvae

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil W

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: overwintering larvae Reply with quote

Hiya

I'm looking for some info on what kind of conditions Eristalini larvae (Myathropa or Eristalis) can/do survive in overwinter - can anyone help?

Main reason for asking is i have a very small water-filled tub with a dozen or so larvae in, in my garden - i'm hoping they'll survive the winter but worried that the thing might freeze solid if the weather gets serious Sad I know some dragonflies and mayflies survive well after a few days encased in ice, but i'm thinking hovers may not be so hardy? Sorry but i've not had a good look at the larvae so can't be sure of their id, but i'm guessing/hoping Myathropa as i read these regularly overwinter as larvae where Eristalis don't?

Anyway any advice/info gratefully received Smile

Phil
Phil W

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say that the little tub (10cm diameter) did freeze a few times, but at least 16 Myathropa florea have emerged from it successfully (pic of one from last week attached)
AngieT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there.
Just to say how nice it must be to see hovers that you have known from their larvahood reaching adulthood! I have no idea where the ones we get in our garden originate from. And what a brilliant photo. The only thing I wondered about is whether your hover is supposed to have that dent on its back?
Phil W

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Thanks - yes it's good to know i'm giving these ones a home, and fantastic to put a motionless little brown pupa in a little box one day and wake up to find a beautiful fly in there the next morning all fresh and ready to explore the world! I couldn't believe how many hatched out from my tiny tub of water - there were more than 30 empty pupal skins around it plus 8 that i looked after while they were pupae.
The one in the photo had hatched out just a few hours before being snapped and was perfectly-formed except for the dent - i guess he'd done it while the skin was still soft, maybe while pulling out of the pupal skin. Another newly-hatched one had me watching in horror after i set him free - he sat there preening thoroughly before his first flight (as they all did) and somehow managed to rip off a little chunk of his wing with his back legs, but he still managed to fly away ok...
Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: