Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Pocota personata

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russell Miller

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Pocota personata Reply with quote

Thought it worth reporting today's encounter with 5 of these lovely bumblebee mimics. Having accidentally come across the species last year, via a photograph last May (that I assumed to be a bumblebee), I was delighted to spot another individual 'guarding' a veteran ash tree on 5.5.14. This was at about 6pm. It took a while to get binoculars on it to confirm the id but eventually it settled on the trunk at about 3m.
I went back the next evening and there it was again at about 7pm buzzing around the trunk at 2-6m but generally around 3m. Today it was there again at 2pm but this time two others buzzed in and out. I even saw two apparently mating in flight briefly before one appeared to enter a cavity at about 4m (possibly to lay eggs?).
I then found another individual on another old ash in a completely different area of the site (about 200m away in dense woodland). This one entered a cavity at about 6m. It then disappeared and re-appeared (or a different individual) at a cavity on another ash tree (pollard) across the ride (20m away).
Finally I found another on a dead/recently decapitated poplar (P. x canadensis). Had I had the time to check other trees I'm guessing I would have found more.
All of which suggests:
they like hanging around sunlit trees with cavities
ash and poplar are acceptable
males guard suitable nest sites and mate females as they appear
they're not actually that hard to find if you there at the right time of year.
Site is Abney Park Cemetery; trees at GR TQ332867, TQ334869, TQ335867 respectively.[/list]
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting report Russell. I recall your photo from last year. Well worth keeping a record of other sightings and the trees involved - might well be worth alerting the authorities as to the important trees.

i don't suppose you got photos this time?

Regards

Roger
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might just be worth a note in one of the entomological jourenals or the Hoverfly Newsletter - some very interesting observations.

In case you are interested, there is an active UK Hoverflies Facebook group that would be excited by your account.

Regards

Roger
Russell Miller

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Pocota personata photo Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

I got a few nice shots but none of the aerial mating!

Can't seem to uplaod a reduce file (239kb) here but here's a link to one on my Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66784700@N07/14159183855/

Looks like I might have to finally join Facebook.

Russell
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russell

A nice male. Good record shot.

Yes, do join the Facebook group - well worth it - and do please share this shot with the group - none of them will have seen Pocota and it would help them

Best wishes

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: