Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Mid-November records

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John O'Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Mid-November records Reply with quote

An extraordinary hoverfly day in east Bedfordshire. After a light frost in the morning, the day turned out brilliantly sunny, and warm out of the chilly wind. Between 1230 and 1300, I recorded the following nine hoverfly species in a sheltered spot in the south-facing gardens of The Lodge, Sandy:

1. Platycheirus albimanus. 2. Meliscaeva auricollis. 3. Scaeva pyrastri.
4. Scaeva selenitica. 5. Syrphus ribesii. 6. Syrphus torvus. 7. Eristalis pertinax. 8. Eristalis tenax. 9. Myathropa florea.

For numbers 1, 3, 5, 6, and 9 this was my latest-ever date in seven years of observation in Bedfordshire, the Scaeva pyrastri by a matter of some ten weeks! Numbers 2, 4 and 8 over-winter as adults at this site. If the weather stays suitable, the Eristalis pertinax record should be broken on Thursday!

The great hoverfly-magnet in winter at The Lodge are the bushes of Viburnum farreri, though a flowering ornamental ivy (Hedera) shared the honours today.

I hope that others among you are also getting some surprises!

John
Tony White

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I'll keep an eye on local Viburnums (should that be Viberna?). Yesterday (12th Nov.) I spread a large bright blue plastic on the ground for collecting fallen leaves. Within seconds there was a hoverfly (Cheilosia?) on it; quite remarkable at this time of the year - and so unexpected that I'd hadn't got my net handy. I'll not be caught out again.

Tony
stuart
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Weekend Reply with quote

I also had several Episyrphus balteatus, 1 male Eupeodes luniger and one each of Meliscaeva auricollis and Scaeva pyrastri visiting Fucshia flowers just outside my kitchen window in Peterborough last weekend. So there is still stuff about on these mild sunny days!
chris webster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was hard enough finding Scaeva pyrastri here in Reading in the summer, so I'm not expecting any now!
A few to add to the November list.... several species flying today at 7C after a big frost: about 25 Episyrphus balteatus, mostly rather dark; Eristalis tenax and pertinax; one Platycheirus albimanus, several female Melanostoma scalare, and most surprisingly a Helophilus pendulus and a Neoascia podagrica. Nearly missed that last one, being so tiny.
Mahonia has been flowering in a local park for weeks, and I thought that would attract a few Eristalis today, but the only visitor was a genuine honeybee.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: