Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Eristalis pertinax

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony White

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Eristalis pertinax Reply with quote

Took a pair of Eristalis pertinax in cop. yesterday (23 September). They were in flagrante on a willow leaf. This strikes me as a very late date in the season for this kind of behaviour - or is it not unusual?

Tony White
John O'Sullivan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, Tony. I don't know how pertinax gets through the winter, but it seems not as an adult. Late mating would make some sense in species that are going to winter as adults. A female tenax mating now would have fertilised eggs to keep safe in her body until the spring, when she could lay them and start the next generation. It is said that most of the tenax that get through the winter are females, so it would make sense not to wait until spring to mate.
In general, I haven't seen many mating pairs of hoverflies, and the majority have been of two species, Sphaeroporia scripta and Helophilus pendulus. I wonder if most species get out of sight while they are potentially vulnerable in this way. S scripta seems often to do the opposite; I've several times seen these pairs in very obvious and attractive looping flights, persisting even when I have threatened them with the net.
Well, as Bill Oddie has pointed out about birds, it's best not to say too much about watching them breeding, or people get the wrong idea! So I'll stop there.
Good luck for the last of the warm days.
John
Tony White

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Eristalis pertinax Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts John.

I hope you're wrong by implying that we've reached the end of recording days for 2007. The Northamptonshire Diptera Recording Group still have three meetings lined up (John Showers or I can provide details of venues, times,etc) so we're hoping for an Indian Summer!

Best wishes, Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: